Campfire Messenger Bag Pattern
Get organized with this classic styled messenger bag. There are ample pockets and space for everyday use.
- Feature your favorite print on the Flap
- Adjustable strap
- Zippered, pleated and slip pockets
- Optional top zipper closure
- Hardware flap closure, plus two alternate closure options!
Want to see more examples? Check out #campfiremessengerbag on Instagram!
Skill Level: Intermediate!
Approx. Finished Dimensions: 9½” W, 11½” H, 2½” deep at base
+ Requirements based on 44” wide fabric. FQ=Fat Quarter=18" x 22"
- Exterior fabric, 3/4 yard
- Lining fabric, 3/4 yard
- Flap fabric, FQ
- Accent fabric (binding, strap, slip pocket, zip pocket lining), 3/4 yard
- Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101), 2 yards
- Fusible Fleece or ByAnnie's Soft and Stable, 1/3 yard
- 6" non-separating zipper*
- 12" non-separating or separating zipper (optional top closure)
- Size 24 Metal Snap, 2 sets
- ½" x 1" Metal Rectangle, 4*
- 1" Metal Strap Slider
*PLEASE NOTE: this pattern is written for fixed-length zippers (not zipper by the yard, if using zipper by the yard please add 1.5" to the length of each designated zipper)
Recommended Fabrics: Cotton or blended canvas; denim, twill, home dec for exterior. Quilting cotton for lining and accent.
Alternate Closures: (4) 1” D-Rings and 1”x 16” scrap leather, or use fabric instructions (and * = omit 2) OR (2) tuck locks (and * = omit 2)
Additional supplies + tools: Thread, water-soluble pen, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, turning tool, 1/4”-wide fusible web tape, (2) 1/4” x 5” strips of leather/ribbon for zipper pull(s), denim needle, snap setting tool, 3/4”-wide sew-in hook-and-loop tape or additional size 24 metal snap (for optional flap and/or back pocket closure)
Supply sources (with links) included in the pattern file.
This is a measure and cut pattern. It does include a template/pattern piece for the Flap and Gusset pieces, which will need to be printed. You will need a rotary cutter, gridded ruler, and self-healing cutting mat. Cut the pattern pieces straight from the fabric - saving time and paper. All pieces are rectangles except for the Flap & Gusset. If you prefer, you can transfer the cutting measurements to paper (or a template material) to create your own paper template/pattern piece for the remaining pieces.
For Digital (PDF) pattern:
- Please download (and save) the pattern file to your computer!
- You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
- This PDF pattern consists of full-size pattern piece for all non-rectangular pieces (some of which will be pieced together before cutting fabric), rectangular pieces with rotary cutting instruction/measurements (no printing necessary!) for all other pieces, and includes detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations.
- The file is and instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) pattern:
Paper pattern version includes instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, pattern sheet for all non-rectangular pieces and rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all other pattern pieces (just cut and sew, no need to cut out pattern pieces), a label sheet for keeping organized, full-color cover sheet, all tucked into a resealable poly bag. Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished sewn items made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.