Pepin Tote Pattern
I have a similar tote that I made many years ago that has been my go-to ever since! It goes with me to and from work, on car trips, and anywhere I travel when I need to stash a notebook and extra items that don’t normally fit in my purse. I’m happy to be able to share this with you and hope you enjoy sewing it up and putting it to use.
This is a quick tote designed with a few optional add-ons if you’re feeling up to it. Otherwise, it is beautiful and useful in its simplicity as is.
- front pocket (great for adding custom details or featuring a favorite fabric)
- divided interior pocket
- magnetic snap top closure (optional)
- recessed zipper closure (optional)
- snap closure for front pocket (optional) or get creative here!!! a turn lock or a Loxx closure (shown on my tan sample) is a fun option, too!
- so many possibilities!
***VIDEO sew-along available here!
Skill Level: Beginner
Approx. Finished Dimensions: 13½” wide x 12” tall x 4” deep [34.3 cm x 30.5 cm x 10.2 cm]
- 1 yd* [91.4 cm] Exterior Fabric
- 2/3 yd [61 cm] Lining Fabric (includes interior pocket)
- 2 yds [1.9 m] Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101-20”/51 cm-wide)
- (Optional) 3/4” [18mm] magnetic snap, for top closure
- (Optional) (1) size 24 metal snap, for Front Pocket
- (Optional) (1) 20" [51 cm] zipper, for recessed zipper closure
- (2) 28” x 1” [71.1 cm x 2.5 cm] wide leather straps OR (2) 28” x 1” [71.1 cm x 2.5 cm] wide cotton webbing, for Handles
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas or waxed canvas^ (7-10 oz.) for exterior fabric, quilting cotton for lining
^if using waxed canvas (8-10 oz.), reduce fusible woven interfacing to 1 ¼ yd and do not interface exterior fabric pieces
* if using non-directional exterior fabric reduce to 2/3 yd [61 cm]
Additional supplies + tools: Polyester thread, water-soluble pen/tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, gridded ruler, rotary cutter, size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle
Featured Fabrics are waxed canvas from AL Frances Textiles, Waxed canvas from Fabric Funhouse, Cotton canvas by Rifle Paper Co.
For Digital (PDF) Pattern:
- Download (and save) the pattern file to your computer.
- You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
- This PDF pattern contains rotary cutting instructions/measurements (NO pattern pieces to print and tape together!), printable label sheet for keeping organized, and includes detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations.
- The file is and instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) Pattern:
The PAPER pattern version includes: instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all rectangles (just cut and sew, no need to cut out pattern pieces), and a label sheet for keeping organized. All tucked into a resealable poly bag.
Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished Pepin Totes made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.
Copyright © 2020 Anna Graham, Noodlehead, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Some images copyright Carrie Hoge and Ashley Yousling of Making Magazine.