Maker's Tote Pattern
This carry-all tote is for the makers, the creatives, and the go-getters. It’s my spin on a classic doctor’s bag, but designed with handy on-the-go storage in mind. Perfect for kids and adults alike, this tote will be sure to keep whatever you need close at hand and organized. Please make note of the recommended skill level for this particular pattern.
- 2 sizes!
- Zippered back pocket
- Top zipper closure (optional)
- interior pockets
- Great for portable craft supply storage!
Want to see more examples? Check out #makerstote on Instagram!
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced. Should be confident at sewing bias binding, previous bag making experience will be helpful. Check out my tips + tricks video! + Approx.
Finished Dimensions: 16” W, 13” H, 7 ½” deep (12” W, 10”H, 6” deep - Small)
+ Requirements based on 44” wide fabric. FQ=Fat Quarter=18" x 22" ( ) = indicate requirements for small size tote
- Exterior fabric, 5/8 yard (1/2 yard)
- Lining fabric, 1 1/4 yards (1 yard)
- Pocket fabric, 1 1/4 yards (1 yard)
- Accent fabric (includes binding and handles, 1/2 yard)
- Fusible Woven Interfacing (20"-wide), 1 1/2 yards
- Fusible Mid-weight Interfacing (44"-wide), 1 yard
- ByAnnie’s Soft and Stable (or Pellon FlexFoam -20” wide), 1/2 yard or 1 yard of Pellon
- 18” separating “Jacket” zipper (14” for small)***
- 10” non-separating zipper for tote back (7” for small)*
*PLEASE NOTE: this length is a fixed-length zippers (not zipper by the yard, if using zipper by the yard please add 1.5" to the length of each designated zipper)
Recommended Fabrics: Cotton Canvas, cotton/linen canvas, denim, twill, home dec or quilting cotton for exterior. Quilting cotton for lining and pockets.
Additional supplies + tools: Thread, water-soluble pen, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, turning tool, (2) 1/4” x 5” strips of leather/ribbon for zipper pull(s), denim needle, (1) size 24 pronged metal snap set, *** = can substitute 2-3 additional sets of snaps if not installing zipper, snap setting tool, binder clips, pinking shears, washable fabric glue stick, 25mm bias tape maker, ¼”-wide fusible web tape
Supply sources (with links) included in the pattern file.
This is a measure and cut pattern. It does include a corner rounding template which will need to be printed. You will need a rotary cutter, gridded ruler, and self-healing cutting mat. Cut the pattern pieces straight from the fabric - saving time and paper. All pieces are rectangles. If you prefer, you can transfer the cutting measurements to paper (or a template material) to create your own paper template/pattern piece for the remaining pieces.
For Digital (PDF) pattern:
- Please download (and save) the pattern file to your computer!
- You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
- This PDF pattern consists of rotary cutting instruction/measurements (no printing necessary!) for all pattern pieces, and includes detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations.
- The file is and instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) pattern:
Paper pattern version includes instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all pattern pieces (just cut and sew, no need to cut out paper pattern pieces!), full-color cover sheet, all tucked into a resealable poly bag. Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished sewn items made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.