Sandhill Sling Pattern
Sew this sling style bag to carry your daily necessities or to take for travel. It’s convenient sling design allows for easy access as well as being out of the way when you’re not using it. It is compact yet roomy enough for the essentials.
Choose from a front zippered pocket (View A) or a patch pocket (View B), both come in handy for quick access to smaller items. An adjustable strap makes it easy to wear. Perfect for biking or daily use!
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced Beginner
Approx. Finished Dimensions: 7” wide by 3” deep, 11” tall [17.8 cm x 7.6 cm x 28 cm]
- 5/8 yard Exterior Fabric
- 5/8 yard Lining Fabric (includes interior pocket)
- 1 ¼ yards (1 ½ if making fabric strap) Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101-20”/51 cm-wide)
- (1) 18”/40.6 cm head-to-head handbag zipper*^ for top closure
- (1) 10”/25.4 cm handbag zipper*^ for front pocket closure (View A) OR 14mm magnetic snap/size 24 metal spring snap (View B)
- 1”-wide d-ring AND 1 ½”-wide strap slider AND 1 ½”-wide swivel snap [25mm d-ring, 38mm strap slider and swivel snap]
- 1.5 yards of 1 ½”-wide cotton webbing OR ADD ¼ yard to Exterior fabric requirement (1 yd total) for making a fabric strap
* you can substitute by-the-yard zipper tape, you’ll need 1 yard total and three pulls
^ pattern assumes zipper tape width of 1 ¼”, zippers are intentionally longer to allow for ease of construction
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas (8-10 oz. weight) for exterior fabric. Quilting cotton or lightweight canvas for lining.
Additional supplies + tools: Polyester thread, water-soluble pen/tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle, (optional) glue or glue pen or 1/4"-wide fusible web tape, (optional for interior pocket) ¼ yard of ¼”-wide elastic, setting tool if using spring snap
Featured Fabrics are Big Sur canvas in Canyon Brown and Blue Green.
This is a measure and cut pattern. It does include a template/pattern piece for the Shoulder Connector and corner rounding template which will need to be printed. You will need a rotary cutter, gridded ruler, and self-healing cutting mat. Cut the pattern pieces straight from the fabric - saving time and paper. All pieces are rectangles except for the Shoulder Connector. If you prefer, you can transfer the cutting measurements to paper (or a template material) to create your own paper template/pattern piece for the remaining pieces.
For Digital (PDF) pattern:
Please download (and save) the pattern files to your computer! You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
This pattern is delivered as 4 PDF files (instructions, print-at-home, print-at-home assembly guide, and A0 file).
- PDF pattern includes:
- measurements for all non-rectangular pieces, full-size printable pattern pieces for all non-rectangular pieces, label sheet to help keep you organized!
- optional Print-at-Home Letter/A4 file for ALL pattern pieces
- optional A0 file for printing at a copy shop
- detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations
- The file is an instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) pattern:
The PAPER pattern version includes: instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, pattern sheet for Shoulder Connector and corner template, and rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all other pattern pieces (just cut and sew, no need to cut out pattern pieces), all tucked into a resealable poly bag.
Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished sewn items made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.
Copyright © 2020 Anna Graham, Noodlehead, Inc. All Rights Reserved.