Redwood Tote Pattern
A mid-sized crossbody tote with front zippered pocket, back slip pocket, zip top closure and reinforced base. This will be your go-to bag for everyday use! The handy short handles make for easy grabbing and the crossbody keeps you hands free! This bag is great for traveling and is perfect for keeping organized. You’ll love this tote!
- front zippered pocket
- top zipper for keeping everything secure
- back slip pocket
- interior slip pocket
- crossbody adjustable strap
- short handles for easy grab and go
- reinforced base!
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner/Intermediate
+ Approx. Finished Dimensions: 10 ½” wide (measured at base), 2 ½” deep, 13” tall
Requirements based on 44”-wide fabric. Fat quarter = 18” tall x 21” wide
- 1/2 yard Exterior Fabric (two fat quarters may be used)
- 1/3 yard Accent Fabric (includes Reinforced Base, Handles, and Strap)
- 1 yard (¾ yard if using non-directional fabric) Lining Fabric
- 2 1/2 yards Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101 – 20”-wide)
- (1) 6” zipper* for front pocket
- (1) 12” zipper for top closure
- (2) 1”-wide d-rings, (2) 1”-wide swivel clasps AND (1) 1”-wide strap slider (kit available here)
- 2” x 11” piece of heavyweight interfacing for Reinforced Base (Pellon Peltex 72F or equivalent recommended)
*PLEASE NOTE: this pattern is written for fixed-length zippers (not zipper by the yard, if using zipper by the yard please add 1.5" to the length of each designated zipper)
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas (7-9 oz. weight) for exterior fabric. Quilting cotton for Accent and Lining.
**Waxed canvas may also be used for exterior fabric, reduce fusible interfacing requirement to 1 ¾ yards and do not interface the exterior fabric pieces.
Additional supplies + tools: Polyester thread, water-soluble pen/tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle, glue pen (Sewline glue pen is my favorite), (optional) two ¾”-wide x 15” long leather handles and eight 8mm rivets/setting tool, (optional) two ¼” x 5” pieces of leather/ribbon for zipper pulls
(*pattern assumes zipper tape width of 1”)
For Digital (PDF, compressed in a ZIP folder) pattern:
Please download (and save) the pattern files to your computer! You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
This pattern is delivered as a ZIP file containing 4 PDF files (instructions, print-at-home, print-at-home assembly guide, and A0 file). New to zipped files? Click here for help.
- PDF pattern includes:
- measurements for all pieces (all are rectangles!) and a printable label sheet to help keep you organized!
- optional Print-at-Home Letter/A4 file for templates for ALL pattern pieces (including rectangles)
- optional A0 file for templates for ALL pattern pieces (including rectangles) for printing at a copy shop
- detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations
- The file is and instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) pattern:
Paper pattern version includes instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all pattern pieces (just cut and sew, no need to cut out paper pattern pieces!), a label sheet for keeping organized, full-color cover sheet, all tucked into a resealable poly bag. Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished sewn items made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.