Range Backpack Pattern
A useful and fun backpack to make! It’s great for any outing where you need to be hands free! The foldover top and closure keep things secure, while the front zippered pocket keeps essentials within easy reach. Adjustable straps make it wearable in any season.
- foldover top with closure
- front exterior zippered pocket
- adjustable straps
- interior slip pocket
Read more here about the backpack, and see the Range Backpack Inspiration & Resources pattern page here.
Skill Level: Intermediate, or adventurous Advanced Beginner
+ Approx. Finished Dimensions: 15” tall (closed), 10 ½” wide x 4” deep (at base)
Requirements based on 44”-wide fabric.
- ¾ yard (½ yard if 54”-wide fabric) Exterior Fabric
- ½ yard Contrast Bottom Fabric
- 1 ½ yards Lining Fabric (includes exterior closure, straps, and interior pocket)
- 3 ½ yards Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101 - 20"-wide)
- 1 yard Medium-Weight Fusible Interfacing (Pellon 809 - 44” wide) ^
- (2) 1 ½”-wide rectangle rings & (2) 1 ½”-wide strap sliders
- (1) 8” zipper for front zippered pocket
- (2) 1"-wide d-rings
Recommended Fabrics: Waxed canvas (10-12 oz. weight), cork fabric, cotton canvas, cotton/linen canvas, denim for exterior and contrast bottom fabrics (quilting cotton may be substituted for exterior fabric requirement, add ½ yard of 6-9 oz. weight 44”-wide cotton canvas/duckcloth for stabilizer and an 18” square of low-loft cotton batting). Quilting cotton for lining fabric.
^=omit if using waxed canvas/cork
Additional supplies + tools: Polyester thread, water-soluble pen/tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, glue pen (Sewline glue pen is my favorite), size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle, turning tool, (optional) 9” length of 1”-wide cotton webbing/leather (replaces Hang Loop cut from Lining fabric), (if using quilting cotton for exterior fabric requirement) quilter’s spray baste, hera marker, walking foot
For Digital (PDF) pattern:
- Please download (and save) the pattern file to your computer!
- You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
- This PDF pattern consists only of rectangular pieces with rotary cutting instruction/measurements (no printing necessary!), a label sheet for keeping organized, and includes detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations.
- The file is and instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) pattern:
Paper pattern version includes instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all pattern pieces (just cut and sew, no need to cut out pattern pieces), a label sheet for keeping organized, full-color cover sheet, all tucked into a resealable poly bag. Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished sewn items made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.