Requirements based on 44”-wide fabric.
1 yard (1 m) Exterior Fabric
1 yard (1 m) Lining Fabric
2 yards (1.8 m) Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101- 20”-wide)
1 yard (1 m) Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing (Pellon 809 – 42”-wide)^
½ yard (0.4 m) Foam Stabilizer (ByAnnie’s or 1 yard (1 m) Pellon Flex-Foam) ^
(2) 1 ½” (3.8 cm) wide rectangle rings & (2) 1 ½” (3.8 cm) wide strap sliders
(1) 22” (55 cm) zipper for top closure
(1) 8” (20 cm) zipper for interior zip pocket
1 1/8 yards (1 m) of 1” (2.5 cm) wide cotton or poly webbing for top handles
2 ½ (2.2 m) yards of 1 ½” (3.8 cm) wide cotton or poly webbing for straps
3 ½ (3.2 m) yards straight-grain ½” (12 mm) wide double fold binding
Recommended Fabrics: canvas (7-9 oz. weight) or waxed canvas (10-12 oz. weight) for exterior fabric, quilting cotton for lining fabric
^ =omit if using waxed canvas
Additional supplies + tools: Polyester thread, water-soluble pen or tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, size 90/14 or 100/16 Denim or Microtex needle, (Optional) 2 1/4” wide x 1 ½” tall (5.7 cm x 3.8 cm) piece of leather for patch, (Optional) 2 rivets – 8-9 mm head with 6-8 mm posts (and corresponding setting tool)
- Please download the pattern file to your computer!!!
- Download links will expire after 9 download attempts, each click counts as an attempt – even if you only open the file to view it.
- This pattern is a PDF file instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address (a receipt screen with the download link will also pop up after you complete the transaction).
- This is a PDF pattern with rotary cutting instructions/measurements and includes detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations.
- Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished Making Backpacks made using this pattern (on a home-based scale).
- NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.
- You do NOT need a PayPal account to purchase, simply enter a debit or credit card at checkout by clicking the ‘Don’t have a Paypal Account?’ link.