Road Trip Case Pattern
You'll take it with you wherever you go. This case is for anyone! Get organized!
- pocket option with flaps, great for anything from crayons to sewing notions, embroidery or cross stitch goodies
- pocket option for rubber band looms (specifically Rainbow Loom) and case/or additional loom
- see-through vinyl pocket to quickly see what you have
- portable and easy to customize
- hang it over a door knob when you're at home
To view more Road Trip Cases from other makers, check out #roadtripcase on Instagram!
Skill level: Great for an advanced beginner and beyond, although it could be tackled by an adventurous beginner!
+ approx. finished dimensions: 13.5” wide, 9’’ tall (12.5’’ including handles), 18’’ tall when fully opened
Materials needed:FQ= fat quarter (18" x 22")
+ additional fabric necessary if using directional print
- 1 FQ exterior main+
- 1 FQ main lining+
- 1 FQ interior pockets
- 1 FQ interior accents
- 13.5’’ x 18’’ cotton canvas/fusible fleece
- 12.5’’ x 17’’ cotton batting
- 2 yards 1/2’’ double fold bias tape
- 14’’ x 10’’ 16-gauge clear vinyl
- 12’’ zipper*
- 1’’ wide elastic
- 1/4’’ wide elastic (for long pocket version)
- 3 buttons
- (for alternate pocket) 3/4’’ wide hook & loop tape - 6’’
- 3 elastic hair ties (if not making fabric loops)
- scraps of fusible interfacing
*PLEASE NOTE: this pattern is written for fixed-length zippers (not zipper by the yard, if using zipper by the yard please add 1.5" to the length of each designated zipper)
[plastic case for rubber bands (or smaller craft pieces) is made by CraftMates, called Lockables. This particular size is a 7 compartment case. You can find them at Michaels and Joanns (mine was in the jewelry section for about $3). Or check online: Create for Less.]
This is a measure and cut pattern. It does include a corner rounding & pleat template which will need to be printed. You will need a rotary cutter, gridded ruler, and self-healing cutting mat. Cut the pattern pieces straight from the fabric - saving time and paper. All pieces are rectangles. If you prefer, you can transfer the cutting measurements to paper (or a template material) to create your own paper template/pattern piece for the remaining pieces.
For Digital (PDF) pattern:
- Please download (and save) the pattern file to your computer!
- You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
- This PDF pattern consists of full-size pattern piece for flap and templates, rectangular pieces with rotary cutting instruction/measurements (no printing necessary!) for all other pieces and includes detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations.
- The file is and instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) pattern:
Paper pattern version includes instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, pattern sheet for flap piece and templates, rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all other pattern pieces (just cut and sew, no need to cut out pattern pieces), full-color cover sheet, all tucked into a resealable poly bag. Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished sewn items made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham at www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.