Hillside Tote Pattern
Perfect for on the go when you want something a little simpler but still keep organized. This classic crossbody with a zip top closure will be one you will want to make over and over again. Feature your favorite print or keep it simple with a solid! Includes front and back exterior pockets and interior pockets. Adjustable strap makes it wearable in any season. Perfect for gifting! Regular size and mini!
- top zipper to keep your belongings secure
- front and back exterior pockets
- two sizes to sew, regular and mini!
- made entirely of rectangles, no need to cut out templates (see below for details)
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
+ Approx. Finished Dimensions: 9 ½” wide by 3” deep (measured at base), 9 ¼” tall, width at top opening is 12 ½” [8 ¼” wide by 2 ½” deep (measured at base), 8 ¼” tall, width at top opening is 10 ½”]
Requirements based on 44”-wide fabric.
Exterior fabric requirement* not suitable for one-way directional fabric.
Mini size noted in [brackets].
FQ=Fat Quarter (18” x 22”)
- ½ yard [FQ] Exterior Fabric*
- ½ [½] yard Accent Fabric (includes Exterior pockets and Strap/Strap Holders)
- ¾ [½] yard Lining Fabric (includes Interior Pocket)
- 2 ¼ [1 7/8] yards Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101 - 20”-wide)^
- (1) 12” [10”] zipper* for top closure
- (2) 1”-wide d-rings, (2) 1”-wide swivel clasps AND (1) 1”-wide strap slider (hardware kit available here)
- (1) 18mm thin magnetic snap (for front pocket closure) OR (1) size 24 metal snap can be substituted
*PLEASE NOTE: this pattern is written for fixed-length zippers (not zipper by the yard, if using zipper by the yard please add 1.5" to the length of each designated zipper)
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas (6-8 oz. weight) for exterior and Accent fabric. Quilting cotton or lightweight canvas for Lining.
^= depending on your exterior or accent fabric choice (such as a heavier canvas or a waxed canvas in a 7-9 oz. weight), you may be able to omit the interfacing for the exterior fabric and/or some of the accent pieces. For this option, reduce fusible interfacing requirement to 1 ¼ [¾] yards and do not interface those pieces.
Additional supplies + tools: Polyester thread, water-soluble pen/tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle, glue or glue pen, (optional) 1”-wide x 50” leather strap/webbing (or length as desired) may be substituted for fabric strap
Featured Fabrics are Surface by Amy van Luijk for Figo Fabrics.
This is a measure and cut pattern. This means that you don’t have any templates (pattern pieces) to print off and assemble! You will need a rotary cutter, gridded ruler, and self-healing cutting mat. Cut the pattern pieces straight from the fabric - saving time and paper. All pieces are rectangles. If you prefer, you can transfer the cutting measurements to paper (or a template material) to create your own paper template/pattern piece.
For Digital (PDF) pattern:
- Please download (and save) the pattern file to your computer!
- You will have 9 download attempts, keep in mind each time you open to view the file counts as an attempt.
- This PDF pattern consists of rotary cutting instruction/measurements (no printing necessary!) for all pattern pieces, a label sheet for keeping organized, and includes detailed step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations.
- The file is and instant download. Please be sure to check the email address you entered at checkout, the instant download link will be sent to that email address. After purchase is complete you will also be redirected to a page with the download link.
For Paper (printed) pattern:
Paper pattern version includes instruction booklet with step-by-step instructions and professional illustrations, rotary cutting instructions/measurements for all pattern pieces (just cut and sew, no need to cut out pattern pieces!), a label sheet for keeping organized, full-color cover sheet, all tucked into a resealable poly bag.
Paper pattern is shipped via USPS.
Sell finished items! You (the purchaser of this pattern) can sell finished sewn items made using this pattern (on a home-based scale), credit to Anna Graham www.noodle-head.com is appreciated!
NOTICE: It may not be possible to download a PDF file directly to your iPad or Android tablet/mobile device without a download app. I use Acrobat Reader in combination with Dropbox to download files using my mobile device.