- Medium Brown, black, and cinnamon colors are a 4-5 oz. weight leather (1.6-2mm thick) (this is slightly thicker than the leather sold prior to mid February 2019), most* home sewing machines should be able to sew through the leather.
- Natural color is a 5-6 oz. weight leather (2-2.4mm thick), some (but not all) home sewing machines should be able to sew through the leather. This vegetable tanned leather will darken to a beautiful amber color over time with exposure to sunlight and general use. Handle sides have been beveled and lightly hand-burnished for durability and longevity and a light coat of oil has been applied. Because all edges are finished, the natural color comes in 16″, 25″, and 28″ lengths.
Sewing with leather handles:
- I advise using a leather needle or topstitching needle of a size 14 or 16 and polyester thread for sewing the leather into a seam. Using a heavy weight thread (such as Coats & Clark Dual Duty Heavy) in the needle (and all-purpose polyester thread in the bobbin) is a great option for machine sewing handles directly to the exterior of projects.
- Handles can be hand-sewn to projects using waxed linen or waxed polyester thread (or other heavy weight thread) for durability. Pre-punch holes with an awl or leather hole punch.
- Handles can also be attached to projects by using rivets. Check out my tutorial for setting rivets.
Leather is sourced from a US tannery and hand cut by me. Please be aware that colors do vary from monitor to monitor, I have tried my best to accurately capture the leather’s true color. Leather is a natural product, minute blemishes may be present. Great care has gone into creating a beautiful handle that will stand the test of time. This leather is cut from a single cow hide, the top side is finished and the back side is re-dyed and gum pasted at the tannery for longevity and durability. If you have any questions about these handles, please contact me prior to ordering!
* I cannot guarantee that your specific sewing machine will be able to sew through either handle type.
Handles are shipped USPS First Class. Please contact me if you require a different shipping method.