I am so excited to introduce to you my newest pattern, the Firefly Tote pattern! Yayyyy!!!! Named for those magic summer nights when the fireflies come out, the accent fabric is a bright spot in this design!
I’m so excited about this pattern, it feels like it’s taken so long to get here! I couldn’t help but include two sizes to sew! The small size (it’s called the Project size in the pattern) is where I began when designing this pattern.
I wanted a smaller tote for craft projects and I think it would make such a cute lunch bag! Or it would make a great gift, too! The larger size (the Tote size in the pattern) is a classic tote shape. I think it would be perfect for a work bag or student bag (and yes, a small laptop fits!).
I love using a featured fabric for the front pockets and drawstring closure (the accent fabric). The best part is that you can use your favorite quilting cottons for the this! The main structure of the bag comes from the exterior fabric which I recommend canvas, dry oilskin, or waxed canvas.
The front pocket is a larger slip pocket and also includes a zippered pocket! Yep, it’s a fun combo! I love having a super accessible slip pocket as well as a zippered pocket. Inside the drawstring closure is a fun opportunity for a cute lining, and it includes a large slip pocket.
The handles for this tote can be made of cotton webbing or leather (hey, you can always make your own from fabric, too!). In addition, I chose to use rivets (here’s a link to my tutorial which also has links to sources, etc.) to secure mine, but a little rectangle of topstitching is great, too. Both options are discussed in the pattern.
Here are some of the Firefly Tote’s features:
- two sizes to sew! Project size is the smaller of the two, Tote size is the larger.
- front slip & zip pockets (great for featuring a favorite fabric and oh so useful!)
- drawstring top closure to keep everything secure
- interior pocket
- simplified option for an even quicker sew!
- so many possibilities!
Project fabric details:
Pattern: Firefly Tote Pattern (in two sizes, Tote size and Project Size)
Tote size features waxed canvas in Deep Rust from Fabric Funhouse, Flueron Haven from Kismet by Sharon Holland for the Accent, Speckled in Pale Pink by Rashida Coleman-Hale for the lining (both purchased from Stash Fabrics)
Tote size in black features Big Sur Canvas in Black (purchased from Stitch Supply Co.), Bold Geo from Kept by Carolyn Friedlander (also purchased at Stitch Supply Co.). Grid fabric (not shown in this post) for lining I think was purchased at Purl Soho years ago, I’ll keep looking for something similar.
I also wanted to show off the versatility of the pattern and a way to speed things up even more. Leaving the exterior without the front pockets is a fun option. Information for how you can make this simplified modification is included in the pattern. It’s a great opportunity to try some quilting, too. I’ll show a quilted version in an upcoming post.
Tote size features dry oilskin in Khaki purchased from Oak Fabrics, Tile in Saddle from Golden Hour by Alexia Marcelle Abegg (purchased from Stitch Supply Co.), lining is a stripe from Fancy Tiger (looks like they’re sold out right now, but here’s a fun stripe at Fat Quarter Shop.
Project size features dry oilskin in Grey purchased from Bijou Lovely, Coneflower from Quarry Trail by me! and a random denim/cream stripe from Joann fabrics ages ago (Essex woven stripe would be close!)
Looking for supplies?
- 1″-wide cotton webbing (for the project size you’ll need one yard, for the tote size you’ll need 2 yards) or of course lengthen or shorten to your desired length!
- 1″-wide leather handles (FOR TOTE SIZE: choose the 28″ length, feel free to shorten them down to the suggested 25″ length or leave at 28″) (FOR PROJECT SIZE: choose the 18″ length for the recommended length or go longer if you want!)
- Zipper for front pocket (6″ zipper for the Project size, 7″ for the Tote size)
- Drawstring cord (3-yard pack) for drawstring closure
- Twill tape (3-yard pack) for drawstring closure
Thank you so much for your support! I can’t wait to see your Firefly Totes! Be sure to tag me on Instagram (@noodlehead531) and use #FireflyTote