knitting

Knitting socks!

Hand knit socks, using My First Toe-Up Sock pattern by Susan B. Anderson

Hand knit socks, using My First Toe Up Sock pattern by Susan B. Anderson

I hope your August is going well. It’s been such a difficult year, hasn’t it?! It’s been a challenging one to navigate as a family and as a small business. I think part of why knitting has jumped back on my queue is because of the uncertainty of everything. I’ve been wanting to knit socks for a very long time and just never made the commitment to myself to get started. I had gotten a skein of sock yarn from my local knitting shop a couple of years ago and it just sat in a drawer.

Well, I finally dug up the motivation to just start! It’s tough to be a beginner at anything, but it is a very very good reminder for me. I don’t think I’ll ever consider myself an advanced sewist, even though I’ve been sewing almost daily for more than 12 years now (and had been sewing many years before that!). But knitting has been a skill that intrigues me so much. And although I’ve got a few years of knitting under my belt, it’s been infrequent and gets pushed aside for whatever life throws at us. Socks always seemed much more difficult than my usual cowl or mitten. So, my family and I got to go camping for a few days in June and I wound my skein and grabbed a pattern (after so.much.research.) and was determined. I think I cast on one hundred times! Seriously, I messed up royally over and over again. Even though it was frustrating I just kept at it! I needed to figure it out and I knew eventually things would click. And they did!

My first sock took me over a month to complete. My second sock took a week and half I think? Even though there are many flaws, I am so happy with how these turned out. They’re socks after all! They look like a sock and can be worn so I call that a win! I gave them to my youngest daughter (because they fit her!) and promptly went shopping for a second skein of sock yarn. I’m excited to learn even more on my next pair.

I hope that if you’re new to sewing, that you stick with things. I know there’s a huge learning curve, but even if you can grab a friend and work through things together I think it can give you such a feeling of accomplishment. And I think we all need to feel that in times like these!

Yarn: Abacus Dyeworks (color is Secret Garden) purchased from Yarn Cakes
Pattern: My First Toe-Up Socks by Susan B. Anderson

15 thoughts on “Knitting socks!

1. Christina says:

You started with toe up socks?? Good for you for persevering! They look beautiful.

1. Anna Graham says:

yes! Don’t tell me cuff down are easier, ha! I’m trying a cuff down next! It wasn’t terrible, but I think I had only done magic loop maybe once before so that took me a bit of time to re-learn, too.

2. Diane Delille says:

They look fantastic! Knitting skills are a process.People that never learn to knit are afraid of making mistakes and ripping them out! Good for you to keep at it! I’ve been knitting for forty years and still make mistakes. Slow and steady wins the race. Good job Anna!

1. Diane Delille says:

I use 9″ circulars to knit socks..much easier. Then I switch to double points for the narrowe parts.

1. Bobbie says:

I also use 9″ circulars! Top down. Rounded toe. No kitchener!

3. Nancy Rector says:

I use that pattern too. Kitchener stitch gys better over time. ❤

4. Pam says:

What a timely post! I am currently working on the same pattern for the first time. I started over THIRTY times. Really. But I was so proud of myself for sticking with it and now I’ve got half a sock! 😄

5. Jenny says:

I too am knew to the art of sock knitting and agree you have to stick at when they take shape it’s such a thrill.
    I learnt from cuff down.

6. Karen says:

I have been knitting for years. Had not done much for a few years and decided to knit socks because I had never done them. Toe up are what I like best I do them 2 at a time on long circular needles and haven’t knit any thing else.

7. Anita says:

Now they look like a sock that I’d like to learn how to knit! I haven’t knitted for years, used to do some nice jumpers for my husband, but that went by the wayside. These socks look like a nice thickness and wearable. Might give them a go! Thanks for the inspiration and truthfulness on how many times you undid and started again!!! I have been following you for years now and love to see how you’ve progressed so successfully in your endeavours. Hello from Melbourne. Anita

8. Karen says:

Beautiful socks. This does seem like a good time to try new things and especially things that demand slow work and persistence. I knit my first sweater in the lockdown and now on my second one I’m really pushing myself to improve. I’ve unravelled again and again! But it’s actually more satisfying now that I’ve moved on from just hurrying to get a finished product! Enjoy pair two.

9. Andrea says:

They look great! I’ve only used one sock pattern and knit it a few times, but it’s so good and has some very useful videos associated with it. Socks are fun and relaxing, but really don’t take much time once you work on them regularly. Have fun! Here’s the link to the pattern I used:

10. Sue says:

Wow! These look great! Sock knitting is so relaxing for me. I always have a pair in progress. There are a lot of wonderful free patterns on Ravelry. One of my favorites is Vanilla Latte. Top down and good for a beginner sock knitter.

11. Brenda Barr says:

I’ve knit at least 200 pairs of socks, and I’m still learning and do a lot of ripping out. Congratulations on your first pair—they are lovely. Welcome to the dark side!

12. Tammy says:

Beautiful socks! I started knitting a year ago and have only knit cuff down socks. I agree that knitting is a meditative, helpful craft for 2020.