I’ve finally settled into my Halloween costume making rhythm. It was actually pretty pleasurable this year compared to years in the past. I think what bugs me the most about costumes is that they’re mostly temporary. Sure, we can use them for dress up and maybe some other random occasion or event, but other than that it’s just the one day. I don’t love knowing that something I spend hours making will hardly see the light of day. I’d rather make something more useful, but I think this year seemed like the perfect balance. Maybe I’ve finally hit my groove!
Emily has been asking for at least a month to be a bee for Halloween. I can’t think of anything much cuter so I agreed to make the costume as you probably already guessed. In my usual fashion I waited until just about the last-minute to go shopping for supplies and get to work. I’m really happy with how smoothly things came together (maybe I’m getting better at this costume thing after all) and Emily is over the moon excited. She really wanted to hang out and help which was fun for me. I got to explain a few things along the way and she thought it was all pretty magical. She also got to witness me messing up and ripping stitches, too. I think this little formula I’ve come up with for the strawberry costume and now bee costume has been great. It’s fleece which is super forgiving, warm (which is a must in Wisconsin), and inexpensive. Win win win.
So for $15 bucks and a couple of hours work, here’s my little bee. She’s so happy being a poufy little happy bumblebee!