Ahhhh! I’m so excited about actually finishing this vest (Dropje Vest by Waffle Patterns). I bought the pattern from Indiesew immediately after seeing it as part of the Indiesew winter collection. And I loved the fabric she used in her sample, so I bought that, too (unfortunately it’s sold out now)! I knew it looked like it would be a little more complicated to sew and was sort of worried that I might have put it off until next fall to sew it up. But I finally decided I need to just do it already. It’s what’s about seasonal clothing, that if I don’t sew it now, I might as well put it off for another six months. But I’m so glad I didn’t.
I followed Allie’s tutorial for quilting and prepping the vest pieces. Of course I’m glad that I have quilting experience but it was nice to know that her method worked well for this particular pattern. Takes the guess work and fear out of it which is so nice. I also have quite a few wool batting scraps that were just perfect for this vest. And to top it all off I even had the right size zipper!
I didn’t make any modifications to the pattern and I love how it fits. The PDF was really nice in that all the sizes are separated into layers (which you can toggle on and off depending on your size). It was so nice to switch on my size layer, print, and cut easily without having any confusion. The illustrations were awesome and very detailed. I thought the initial prep work ended up feeling like it went on forever. But the same goes for making bags, once the pieces are all cut/interfacing and ready, the sewing goes along really smoothly.
I did end up stitching the arm and zipper facings to the lining by hand. I suppose I could have topstitched them down, but I didn’t want to interfere with the quilting lines of the vest. It was worth the bit of time and effort to not have to worry about the facings popping out when I wear it. I think if I made another I’d probably take the time to figure out how to make a full lining work, but I’m sure this one vest will be enough for me for now.